Monday, January 18, 2010

Sleep for it...

So we went to our favorite store today...Costco!  Kaelani has some money saved up and decides--more like impulsively decides--she wants to purchase a camera.  I wouldn't consider my daughter spoiled but she does have a lot of things and a camera is one of them.  However, the camera she currently has is suddenly "inoperable" because the buttons are too small for her fingers...what???...(kids will come up with anything these days).  John and I quickly came to the conclusion that our little girl just wants a new camera, after all, hers is sooo 2008.  Needless to say, John and I aren't sold on the idea of a new camera and know hers is still in working condition.  We tell her to "sleep on it" and if she still wants it in a few days, we can come back.

Nevertheless, John and I are subjected to the terrible tween tantrum, i.e., "It's my money...I could spend it the way I want", pouting and the silent treatment.  We leave Costco--sans camera-- and when we get home, our little drama queen rushes to her room to call a friend.  It is so quiet in the house that John and I can hear her conversation.  She begins to give her friend a play-by-play of the incident and then says...wait for it...wait for it..."My parents told me if I want the camera, I have to sleep for it first...why do I have to sleep for it...that doesn't make sense!"  John and I start exploding with laughter careful to cover our mouths to keep her from knowing.  Aah...youth and their innocence!  These moments become more rare as kids get older but are equally appreciative each time they happen.  I guess I better tell her what the expression "sleep on it" means.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment