A few blog posts ago, I shared how triumphant I felt upon conquering my first early morning run. Fast forward a couple weeks to a few days ago, I decided to put on my big girl panties and get up once again at 4:50 a.m. to run-- this time sans Jessica (bad move) in an effort to prove to myself that I could in fact get up without being held accountable to anyone but myself. In that particular post, I also made a note to self to buy some mace...which I had not yet acquired (another bad move) and definitely could've used during this run.
I started my run feeling pretty good, feeling triumphant again, thinking, Wow, I could really do this early morning run thing...this is great! There were more cars out this time so I felt a little safe knowing there were people watching and I even saw another early riser getting their workout on on their bike. On my way back and less than a mile away from home, I am running a short distance in an area that is not so well lit accompanied with shady trees and an uneven surface. The uneven surface coupled with the dim lighting force me to look towards the ground while running to watch where my feet land. And then out of nowhere I hear a roar. The roar came out of some lunatic that seemed to drop out of the sky and right in front of me. I let out a terrified scream and yelled, "YOU FU$*!#G SCARED ME!" I could tell my reaction surprised him (go figure idiot). His reply, "Oh my god..I'm so sorry." I continued running fast and feeling scared, repeatedly looking over my shoulder. I didn't recognize the guy and I felt his intention was to scare me. I couldn't believe this guy thought it would be fun to get his kicks scaring a woman in the middle of a run...and in the dark. Who does that??? Not a runner. Even though this guy was clad in what appeared to be dark running clothes, it could've just been a disguise. Because again...what kind of runner does that? Most experienced runners are well versed in running etiquette so I was pretty shaken up afterwards wondering if he could've been a sex offender looking for his next victim.
After work, I rushed to Fleet Feet and finally bought pepper spray. I'm embarrassed that it took this kind of wake up call for me to go and get some because who knows how long I would've gone forgetting/procrastinating to get some. I also tipped off the local police department and they offered to send out an extra patrol in the area.
I'm fortunate that I wasn't attacked. I feel foolish for going out that morning. Needless to say, this was a lesson learned. No running in the dark-not without a partner and pepper spray...but preferrably-no running in the dark at all (per John and advice...or should I say instructions I will be sure to embrace). And always be prepared.
Early morning runs are possibly in my future...but for now I am pleased to say--I have pepper spray...and I'm not afraid to use it.
Be careful out there my friends.
Super Easy, Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
5 years ago

OMG!!! that's crazy!! well i'm glad you're okay and i hope they catch that psycho. good lesson for us all
ReplyDelete