Saturday, March 13, 2010

Running and rambling

So after a little searching, Sara and I have found a race to train for.  Drum roll please...PRESIDIO 10 on April 18th in San Francisco.  I'm running the 10k distance and Sara is deciding between the 10k or 10 miler.  To keep me on track with training, I've chosen a training plan published in this month's Runner's World magazine.  The plan incorporates 3 key workouts: a tempo run, hill or track workout and a long run.  Cross training and easy running on other days of the week and at least one rest day. So my schedule for the week goes like this:

Monday-Tempo Run, 3-5 miles
Tuesday-Rest
Wednesday-Hill or Track Workout
Thursday-Rest
Friday-Recovery Run, 2-3 miles
Saturday-Long Run, 5-8 miles
Sunday-Yoga

Somewhere in there, I am hoping to fit in a Centergy class at the gym BUT since I can't run in the morning now, thanks to that lunatic (you can refer to my previous blog)...I'm not sure how I'm going to fit that in.  This week is Week 1 of the six-week schedule.  I have accomplished the three key runs and given the time change tomorrow, I'm not sure I will make yoga...bummer.  Seriously.

Today was my long run.  I got off to a late start because I was dilly dallying on the computer this morning.  I planned for 5 miles and ended up running 6.  Why? How?  Well let me tell you.  Sometimes on a run...you just feel good.  You feel you can go the extra distance.  Today was a mixture of sorts.  This is what I think contributed to me going that extra mile:

1.  I was feeling guilty.  I am so used to running long distances on Saturday, but lately, I haven't done so.  Running longer helps build up my mileage for the week and my endurance.  My goal is at least 12-15 miles per week.  Monday-I ran 3, Wednesday-I ran a total of 1 mile (warmup and cooldown) plus 8 hill sprints which let's say equate to 1 mile. So that's 2 miles for Wednesday.  So far--5 for the week. UGH.  I have one more day to try to make 12.  I could've ran 2 yesterday but my quads were a little sore from those hill sprints.  So I ran 6 today which brings me to 11 miles.  Darn it, I didn't meet my goal.  Oh well.

2.  The sun was out!  Such a beautiful morning.  Mother Nature has been out of control the past couple of weeks and even though I LOVE running in the rain, running with the sun out is equally pleasing.  However, she wasn't all that nice...she gave me wind...and I HATE running in the wind.

3. My ipod was playing some really good songs today.  At times, I  felt compelled to sing out loud.  I mostly wear my ipod during tempo and long runs and ditch it on recovery runs along with my beloved Garmin. I bought a shuffle for my first marathon so I wouldn't have to skip through a thousand or so songs on my other ipod to get to something I really wanted to hear.  I only put songs on my shuffle that I know I won't want to skip through.  Some songs that played today:

Is it Any Wonder-Keane
Life in Technicolor-Coldplay
Mony Mony-Billy Idol
Beautiful Day- U2
Beat It Up Right-Korn...yes really...Korn
Hold My Hand-Hootie and the Blowfish
I Gotta A Feeling-Black Eyed Peas
How We Do-The Game and 50 Cent

I can hear my sister already...poking fun of my music selection with the exception of Billy Idol--we share an unusual affinity for Billy Idol.  Her ears are more tuned to the likes of Jay Z, T.I., Mike Jones, Lil Jon.  Don't get me wrong though...I do love me some Lil Wayne.

4.  It gave me a little more time to think.  When I'm stressed, angry, or feeling blue... I run.  It's somewhat cathartic for me.  Not that I ever finish every run with insight or a remedy to a problem.  Sometimes, I just think about a hodgepodge of things, i.e., what to make for dinner, what should I wear to (insert event here), what movies I need to put on my Netflix queue...stuff like that.  Today I thought...Damn...my arms are long!  Is it just me...or are my arms freakishly long???  If you've ever ran with me, you've probably heard me comment about them.  I just don't know what to do with the excess...do they serve a purpose?  I feel like a monkey with these limbs dangling at my sides.

So there it is.  Week 1 and whole bunch of gibberish. 

2 comments:

  1. love your blogs about running because it makes me realize how much more work i need to put in to reach your status!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kissa,

    I know where you are coming from...I can no longer do short rides (less than 20 miles). It's like reading a good book that you can't put down. Cycling for me is better than sleeping. It's the best 100% escape from this thing we call life. Everything gets swallowed up in the motion. Just wish I had more hours in a day to do it...

    ReplyDelete